Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Auto-pilot

Do you ever stop to think how much of our life runs on auto-pilot?

I do things all the time, and then five minutes later, freak out about whether I missed a step, or even did it at all.

Whether its basic stuff like locking your car door, or turning off the oven, or like just happened at work, I managed to convince myself I sent an email to the client without putting a greeting at the top (which I did), it happens to me several times a day.

I drive to crew practice at 5:15 am several times a week. I know I'm not really awake as I do it, yet I always make it there in one piece and without accident. There are days I barely even remember passing certain landmarks on the road.

Are we missing moments in our life, or are we just so into a routine, that it doesn't require any thought and we're just essentially fast-forwarding to the next moment?

What do you all do on auto-pilot?

1 Comments:

Blogger mandy said...

I drive on auto pilot all the time. It's a scary habit - especially on the long road trips back home - 10 hours in the car... I get out of DC traffic and wake up somewhere around Asheville, NC and wonder how the heck I made it that far.

I think a lot of it's due to sensory overload though...those few moments where we do switch in to auto pilot are just our minds' way of saying I need a freakin break once in a while. We're all just too busy to realize it.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home