Thursday, September 17, 2009

I Don't Get Madison Avenue

I work in communications, so I consider myself more media-savvy that the average duck. I even dabble in the advertising industry occasionally for my clients, suggesting creative direction or copywriting for things that may actually appear on TV and radio.

That being said, I don't understand why the Mad Ave suits think we as consumers are more receptive to foreign accents.

Exhbit A: The Geico gecko... Why? Why? WHY is he Australian? Have we always had a latent desire to buy our insurance from Down Under? Are Aussies known for their insurance? And even more simply, geckos are from all over the world. Every time I visit the fam in Florida, I see geckos crawling all over the walls and floors, I don't have to go to Oz to see one.

(and don't get me started on the nimrodery that is the Geico cavemen.)

Exhibit B: The Nasonex bee... I had to double check this online, because I was reasonably certain I recognized the voice, and yep, its Antonio Banderas. I get it, women swoon for him, but as an animated bee? Are you more likely to rush out for nasal spray? Does it help sell product that the man can't pronounce half the ad, but he has Latin flavor?

On one hand, I know the counterargument is "But PRSlave, you're talking about them here now, so clearly the ads stick with you."

Indeed... but I'm so anti-talking Spanish bees that I intentionally go out and buy other generic nasal sprays just to avoid picturing Bee Movie en Espanol. And Geico, I inherited from my parents, and I'm rapidly considering switching just to not be associated with the cavemen. I do find "Flo the Nationwide woman" rather earnest...

What about you? Any ads defy reason for y'all?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Average Jane said...

a) The Geico Gecko isn't Australian. He's British. Working class London, if I'm not mistaken. Cockney.

b) There is a long list of ethnic stereotypes in media that we don't think about -- like the British villain. Are Brits really that sinister? My flatmate in Essex wrote his thesis on that topic.

Anyhoo... it is an interesting observation. Yay!

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Fonzy said...

Before you consider yourself that savvy, maybe you should know that the gecko was the brainchild of the Martin group out of Richmond, Va.

Do your homework Glenn Beck.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home