Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Missed Opportunities

I just came back from a job interview. It's a job I'm perfectly qualified for, with just the right mix of writing and other responsibilities. Amazingly enough, the person who interviewed me happens to know me in a non-work capacity, and can ask a variety of people for character references (including her husband).

And yet, I think I blew it...

I can't point to any one moment in particular, we talked for nearly an hour about a variety of things, but the minute I got back to my car, I smacked the steering wheel and said, "Damn!"

I never got into a good rhythm, I don't think I sold good examples of my work, and I didn't tell nearly enough stories tooting my own horn.

People say you're always hardest on yourself, and maybe its true. Maybe I am overreacting, but I don't generally leave a situation feeling like that, which is what scares me.

I guess I can't do anything at this point but send my thank you letter, cross my fingers, and hope for the best.

I hate first impressions...

2 Comments:

Blogger sunchaser said...

The interviewing /candidate selection process seems to be more drawn-out than I remember it.

I did a phone interview (that actually went pretty well - or so I thought) for a job 3 weeks ago that I was told about at the beginning of the year. Left a message with my contact last week to find out the status, and am still waiting.

I feel your pain It's extremely frustrating.

I guess the best tip is to (like anything else) not put all your eggs in one basket and try not to think about it (if at all possible, right?!)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Rosie Hope said...

I'm sorry...and also I wish I got to meet you while you were here! You were her husband's rowing coach right? Well, she's a tough sell. I think I would've blown it had it not been a phone interview with her. Either way there were tons of qualified candidates, which i know people always say but still :(

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home