Thursday, August 17, 2006

"Word" Up

Yesterday, the word "phantasmagorical" was used in a conversation with a friend.

I was told my friend "lusted after" that word. While I'm not sure that I've ever "lusted" after a word myself, I definitely appreciate the sentiment.

What is it about words that moves us so easily? As vivid, exciting, or erotic as a picture can be, it is the written or spoken phrase that drives us crazy... the opportunity to use our imagination allows for free travel and fantasy.

While reading the blog board today, several people discussed the dangers of online dating. People have the ability to misrepresent themselves online, because you can get idea an idea of how people are based on their emails and profiles. Yes, their pictures may be misleading, but I would argue that the words they send are the most accurate reflection you'll get. Why base your assumptions on a photo? No one will ever know me based on a picture on a beach, or doing a kegstand, or standing with a celebrity; they'll find out who I am by discovering that I'm melodramatic, overuse the ellipsis, and that I twist nearly everything into a double entendre. Isn't that far more useful?

It's why I read all of the other blogs out there... I don't have to know the authors, to know who they are. And I love that.

4 Comments:

Blogger mandy said...

"Words, when well chosen, have so great a force in them, that a description often gives us more lively ideas than the sight of things themselves."
- Joseph Addison

Great post ;)

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

panasonic digital camera


digital camera sale



camera digital hp photosmart


sony digital video camera

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home