Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lessons on Love Learned from 90210

And now for a long overdue melodramatic post...

One of the benefits of my current abundance of free time, is that I'm catching up on dozens of episodes of Beverly Hills 90210. (And yes, I'm a straight male admitting that I know which channel Soapnet is, digital cable is fantastic).

At any rate, one of today's episodes was the long awaited, long delayed, wedding of Brandon and Kelly. As most of you probably remember, the wedding never actually happens, because both bride and groom decide they are truly meant to be friends, and not married for the rest of their lives.

Kelly's rationale in a conversation to her mother is "How much doubt is too much?" I think that's the fundamental question we fight to answer in all our relationships. I know it was for me. It's what stopped me from proposing to TLTL. Four years into our relationship, I was still wrestling with the question. When is love enough? When is it okay to visualize a future life, or children, but also visualize being apart, or being afraid of ruining someone else's life? All those questions meant I was taking too long for her, and she needed to move on. Who could blame her?

Its all part of growing up I guess... the difference between a relationship at 18, or 23, or 27, or even 35. Sooner or later, I have to believe I'll just know. The doubt won't be too much, the alternative won't be frightening, and I'll be excited and eager to make that leap, and hopefully the person I'm with will feel exactly the same way.

As Ashburnite said in a fairly recent post, sometimes we just have to "Fake it, till we make it." I don't quite think I'll be faking it, but I probably will be trying things on for size...

Here's to the pursuit of something meaningful...

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashburnite said...

great post. I definitely believe that when you meet that person, "the one," there will be very little doubt in your mind- you'll just know and you won't be able to imagine life without that person. I guess it's just the hopeless romantic in me.

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home