Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Dawson Leery, Future Domestic Violator

So as previously mentioned on this blog, my current employment situation has provided me an abundance of free time. I've fallen into quite a tv routine, with the launching point being the 9am episode of Dawson's Creek on TBS. While watching the high school traumas of Capeside, Massachusetts all over again, I've come to a shocking realization...

Dawson Leery will grow up into a man who beats women.

When I was younger, watching the show the first time around, I remember often comparing myself to Dawson. It was so easy to understand how the beautiful girl could drive him crazy, and eat away at his very soul. Torture that overdone can only be felt by a hormonal pubescent male. I had a female friend that I was sure was the great love of my life, and she just wanted to be friends. The world was against me. I was Dawson Leery...

But then the plot changed... the rebel, the dorky, misunderstood best friend had a shot. Pacey Witter, the reluctant hero. He was everything I was, awkward, well-meaning, fighting to get out of the background. You couldn't help but root for him, as he made his play for the lovely Joey. I found myself abandoning my prior identity and relating to Pacey. As their love triangle evolved and regressed, my loyalties switched, and I began to resent Joey for her inability to let Dawson go.

But that's neither here nor there... the title of this post is the key. While watching these episodes all over again, we've now reached the part of the series where Pacey has declared his feelings for Joey, but her loyalty to Dawson keeps her from giving in (for now, I know she changes her mind later).

Dawson's response to his friend's betrayal is a range of every overblown, melodramatic tool in the 16 year-old boy's arsenal; yelling, guilt trips, devious schemes to embarrass your rival, pouting to yourself, spreading malicious gossip to poison friends... everything but physical violence against those he feels have offended him.

And that's why he'll grow to beat women. He's exhausting every possible emotional recourse, and because he is sooooooo tortured inside about it all, he's using up all the emotional outlet he has before he's really ready to. The human body only has a finite reserve of melodrama for use of the course of its life, and Dawson has finished his off far too early.

At one point in today's episode, Pacey begs Dawson to hit him, just to get it over with, but of course Dawson pussies out. Had he just thrown that one punch, it might all have been saved, but instead, once he becomes a real adult his future of wife-beating is in the cards. All he'll have left to express anger, will be violence.

In 15 years, when James Van Der Beek is a bald, out-of-work actor with a paunch over his jeans, and Dawson's Creek, The Later Years comes on as a tv movie... you watch, it will be Sheriff Pacey Witter arresting him for assault and battery. Just some food for thought...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I love the 9am episode of Dawson's Creek. I don't think Dawson will become a wifebeater, just a tortured soul with an extraordinarily large vocabulary. I never switched sides though, I always wanted Dawson and Joey, not Pacey and Joey. I'm loyal. Pacey is too dumb for Joey. That finale killed me. I still think about it. Daily.

4:12 PM  
Blogger J said...

Wow, a stalker... I'm not really sure how to take that, but thanks I guess???

I think Pacey was a lot smarter than he let on, just because he wasn't book smart doesn't mean much. I mean after all, he became an executive chef by the time he was 20, right? Clearly, he had some skills... ;)

4:26 PM  
Blogger mandy said...

Pacey was always a lot smarter than he let on. He just needed a good woman to draw it out of him.

I miss 9am weekdays.

And I agree, Dawson should have just sucker punched him and gotten it over with. But alas, not much drama in that...

Which one are you now?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Rosie Hope said...

I am disturbed on many levels by your use of free time to analyze bad 90's t.v. And yet, apparently I might be worse because I am here reading it. Thoughtful presentation though...Dawson always creeped me out. Way too intense. Pacey knew how to have fun. Plus he got with an older women, so you know he was pretty good in bed.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

This show was on when I was in high schoool/college and I also loved it in some bizzare way. I pretended that I was Joey so I could get it on with Pacey. Dawson kinda looked like he had elephantitis of the head.

On a side note, I had a friend in college who had Dawson's Creek Drinking Parties: Every time one of the characters said a word the majority of the population would never say in the real world, they'd take a shot/large swig of beer. Let me tell you they were quite drunk after these parties.

5:02 PM  
Blogger J said...

Mandy- Too true, Pacey was highly underrated by the writers of the show. And while I can't really say that I'm either of them now, I'd definitely prefer to have more of Pacey's traits.

Lelaina- Damn straight! Experience counts! Although lately I find myself attracted to younger girls, so I don't know what that says for me...

Jo- I think we played a Dawson's drinking game in college as well... definitely bad news. And yes, the forehead is MASSIVE!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Jamy said...

I was ALWAYS on Pacey's side. I don't recall liking Dawson, even in the beginning. Joey--sometimes I liked her, sometimes she annoyed the hell out of me, especially when she was trying to placate that control-freak Dawson!

Maybe you're right about him.

It's a darn good thing I don't have cable!

What happened in the finale? I can't remember.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not really a stalker.

in the finale Joey chose PACEY! Apparently I am in the minority liking Dawson with Joey better. I like Pacey better as a guy, but I always wanted Joey and Dawson to be together. I like the idea of childhood friends, soulmates, etc.

Speaking of old tv, nothing will ever compare to the love affair of Jordan Catalano and Angela. ahhhhh.

7:24 PM  
Blogger VaVaVoom said...

Well, no offense to Scientologists, but look where Joey is now. Who knows? Maybe she and Tom Cruise are happy, but press pics make her appear a little Stepford-ish.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home