Monday, March 12, 2007

A Return to My Southern Roots?

Previously in my blog I've discussed my white trash tendencies, but I want to briefly discuss one of my biggest pet peeves about living in the DC metro area. I grew up here, I love it, but it drives me crazy that frequently we are subjected to national advertising for products and retail outlets that we do not have here in DC.

Two of the key ad campaigns that I feel neglected by are Sonic and Buffalo Wild Wings... For those that don't know, Sonic is the single greatest fast food "restaurant" in America today. From their "drive-in" slots where the food is brought to your car, to the Sonic Blast ice cream concoctions, to the tater tots as a side dish; Sonic is a slice of heaven. Alas, its only available in the southern U.S.

Buffalo Wild Wings (or BW3) is a staple of most college towns across the south and midwest. The perfect sports bar, with a variety of flatscreens and projection TVs showing every sport imaginable, plus the availability of NTN trivia. Not to mention a menu with every fried chicken product you can dream of, with a choice of 16 flavors of sauce, from sweet to spicy...

So after venting to friends for months about the travesty of being subjected to Sonic advertising without getting my tots, I decided it was time to step up to the plate. I looked up the closest Sonic to DC. Fredericksburg, VA... I smell a road trip! Bonus points were added when I learned the Fred also featured a BW3...

Yep... so yesterday was the big day. Gathered a couple friends, jumped on the highway, and one hour later pulled into charming, downtown Fredericksburg, VA. Turns out most of the Fred is taken up by a giant mall/shopping complex called Central Park. BW3 was found among one strip of the complex.

1:45 pm... Pulled up a table, started watching the ACC Championship game, ordered some wings... life is good.

3:30pm... Eating more wings and fried mushrooms, on my 2nd 23 ounce beer, watching the Big Ten title game, playing online poker.

5:15pm... More wings, watching NASCAR, playing NTN trivia.

6:15pm... Watching NCAA tourney selection show, more poker.

7:00pm... Did someone say its time for Sonic?

7:30pm... Pull into my drive-in window, 2 burger meals (w/ tots), 1 chili dog meal (w/tots), and one Oreo Sonic Freeze.*

8:30pm... Still at Sonic, dessert time... 1 Cherry Slush, 1 Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Sonic Freeze.

9:30pm... Home safe and sound... with a slight belly ache, but a very happy heart!

* - Note: Not all food was consumed by PRSlave, remember I had friends in the car too. ;)

6 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

There's a Sonic in Manassas too. I've seen another one recently, but not sure where.

No clue where there is a Buffalo Wild Wings.

What I want is a Waffle House.

5:40 PM  
Blogger J said...

Jo- Manassas? Really??? It didn't show up on Sonic's website.

Waffle House is great. You can find those if you go just a little south on I-95. Only need to go as far as Quantico or so. Mmmm, hash browns...

Next road trip??

5:50 PM  
Blogger Rosie Hope said...

We from the south like to call it "B-dubs" just so you know ;) we had one at JMU and we have TWO in Richmond....jealous much?

Alas, I miss Sonic. I don't know if they have them in Richmond, but I need to find one.

6:41 PM  
Blogger J said...

Lelaina- Yeah, I actually call it "B-Dubs" too, but I wasn't sure most DC readers would know what I was talking about. :) And it was at JMU where I was educated about the B-Dubs!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Belle said...

Oh, Sonic! I do miss thee...

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is no sonic in manassas. the word on the street is that they're building one on liberia so maybe you saw a sign...

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home