Thursday, July 26, 2007

Is This Where I Reach "Old Maid" Status?

Yesterday, my cell phone buzzed in my pocket. As I pulled it out, I saw an area code and number I didn't recognize. Sprint- helpful as they are, informed me the number was from Missouri. I'm one of those people who screens their calls, so I let it roll to voicemail.

"Hey PRSlaveDC,

This is Uncle S in Kansas City, I want you to write this phone number down. 816-XXX-XXXX. Her name is Jane Doe, and she just moved to DC. She's from Kansas City, and her dad is good friends with me. She's a great girl. I think she went to college in Amherst or Vermont or somewhere up there, I don't remember.

I don't know if you're seeing anyone, but I thought you two should hang out. She's really a great girl. Anyway, again, hope you're doing well, and give her a call... unless you're already with someone, but just in case, call her. Talk to you soon."

Uncle S is someone I see once a year, tops... we talk on the phone, approximately half that often. I didn't even know he had my phone number.

Now the key questions:

1) Did this girl get a similar message from her father? (I doubt it.)
2) Does she even know that she's being pimped out from across the Mississippi River? (I really doubt it.)
3) In the unlikely event that she did get a similar message, what could possibly have been said to make me sound worthy of calling? (I don't even want to imagine.)

So for the record, I will not be calling this young lady, although I'm sure she's charming and lovely, and went to a New England college (maybe). But, am I reaching the age where I should start expecting my relatives and friends to offer to set me up with complete strangers for no apparent reason other than "You're both single?

Can I go back to being 22 again?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

awwwkward.

4:43 PM  
Blogger AO said...

who knows... SHE might be 22. ;)

5:46 PM  
Blogger Craver said...

and she might be awesome.
What's there to lose?

1:48 PM  
Blogger Belle said...

Welcome to the club, buddy. *sigh*

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home