Thursday, September 27, 2007

Amateur Entomology

My roommate seems to be an expert on insects. We live in a group house that on bad days overly resembles a frat house, although with two girls residing here, I like to think its a few rungs nicer than that.

At any rate, ever since the basement flooded last August in the epic storms of '06, we've had on and off issues with bugs in the house. Mostly we've seen centipedes roaming the basement walls, despite Orkin's best efforts to eradicate them. Upon the first discovery of these centipedes, K jumped online to classify them, learn where they come from, how they breed, what they eat, and anything else she could dig up. Me, I just assumed they bred from the mold in the walls due to the flood, and if I keep stomping all the ones I see, eventually we'll beat them back.

So naturally I come home tonight to find K in the kitchen, as soon as I say hi, I get:

K: "We have fruit flies."
Me: "Huh?'
K: "Fruit flies, haven't you noticed them?"
Me: "No."
K: "They're in the kitchen, I built a trap. I looked them up online, they're definitely fruit flies, but I don't know why they're here, we don't leave fruit out."
Me: "Ummm, okay."

The trap for the record, seems to be a glass of balsamic vinagrette, covered in saran wrap, with a cone made of cardboard stuck through the roof. These alleged fruit flies seem to climb down the cone, but are too stupid to climb back out?

And how she was able to identify them online when none of them are larger than 3 millimeters with 100 percent certainty is beyond me. But then again, I nearly failed 9th grade biology.

Thank god I have these big tough girls to kill the insects for me...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scientific name of fruit flies is Drosophila (for the species I need to see them, the more common is Melanogaster Drosophila). I can even telling you if it's a male or a female.
In your case since you don't have any fruit out, it's probably something in the garbage that attracts them.
Yes, for the trap, they're that dumb. You can also but some beer yeast in the trap.
Good luck with the bugs.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home