Monday, July 30, 2007

Holding Myself Back

I try not to hold grudges in my life. I'm generally of the mindset that life is too short to stay really mad at people. I don't get that trait from my mother though. We attended a wedding this weekend, where the bride's uncle refused to come because he felt as though he had been slighted by the family a few years back. This man (my uncle as well) is frequently belittled by the rest of the family for his absences and selfishness. At a previous cousin's wedding in April, my uncle showed up, only to conspicuously leave before the reception started.

At any rate, much of this weekend's conversation centered around him, including my mother's statement that after my grandmother passes away, we'll "never have a reason to speak to him again."

This is her OLDER BROTHER, the only completely pure-blood relative she has in the family, due to remarriages and step-families. And she has officially decided that he will be fully cut out of her life when her mother passes away. I can't imagine reaching that decision about someone.

However...

I'm supposed to play in my former office's softball game tonight. It's our league semifinal, I've played in every game so far this season, despite the fact I no longer work there. I found out today that my former manager will be in attendance tonight, something about showing unity for the office, since she's #2 in charge. I haven't seen or talked to her since my dismissal. As such, I'm likely to skip the game.

I just don't want to deal with her. This is a woman with whom I had a social relationship (not like that!) for over 10 years before I worked with her. When I was released, she made no effort to explain it to me, or apologize for how it came to happen. I just don't want to sit there and sulk all night, or try to be avoiding her (difficult when there are only 18 people there). I think it is for the best.

Isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home