Sunday, August 05, 2007

Left Behind

I went to a wedding today... my best friend since seventh grade. I've watched him from the shy, awkward boy who was afraid of girls, to the confident, assertive man who went after what he wanted even when some of us told him it was a bad idea. Shows what we know, he married her...

Initially, there was a wedding party. I was a groomsman, but not the best man. Eventually, as plans changed, there was no more wedding party. Not even one attendant on each side. I didn't really realize that I had been replaced in his mind though, until I discovered that there were two other guys who had been asked to give toasts, and I was not. Similarly, during the reception itself, watching him work the room, it was clear that I was just another guest. I got no bonus time, no special photos to reflect the 16 years we've known each other.

I don't want to resent him for that, I want to be okay with it, and say "hey, relationships change, priorities change, I get that." But instead, I found myself walking away from the reception for a few minutes, needing to get my emotions under control... I hate being jealous, I hate feeling left behind.

So what now? What do you do, when you realize that the person who is most likely to be the best man at your own wedding (if and when it ever happens), acts as though you're just another friend of the family at his own nuptials? Do you let it go, and say, so be it? Do you try to replace him with someone who might appreciate your friendship more?

Maybe its all cyclical, and what went away, comes back in the end... that would be nice if it were true.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Thats a bunch of crap, sorry. Don't have any actual advice for you per se but I sympathize.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same thing's happened to me and my only advice is this -- you could let it bother to you to the point that it stains an otherwise great friendship or you could be happy for him and his new bride and be honored that they made you part of their union. It can be tough to reconcile these two feelings, but in the end, you pretty much have to.

5:28 PM  
Blogger DC Food Blog said...

I'd probably choose another best man when the time comes for you to get hitched. Also, I think there's a third alternative to ajewtino's suggestion which is to recognize the friendship has changed, value the time you were close, and value the people in your life who value your friendship.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that does suck. When I linked to you from DC Blogs I assumed this was going to be another post from a woman upset about a wedding. I am glad to know there are sensitive guys out there.

Remember the friendshipm and like DC food blog said, recognize that your friendship has changed and that isn't a bad thing.

Don't fret about finding a best man. When the time comes, the right person will be a natural choice.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home