Monday, January 14, 2008

Today's Overused Expression that Bugs Me (Thanks Bret Michaels!)

If you know me at all, you know I'm a ridicuously huge (obsessive? manic?) sports fan who has heard this expression practically daily on Sportscenter for the last 20 years of his life. Yet somehow, until two of the "contestants" on VH1's dating sensation, Rock of Life 2 with Bret Michaels said the phrase within seconds of each other, it didn't occur to me how stupid it really is.

The expression?

"I'm going to give 110 percent..."

I know, I know. It's an obvious one. We hear it all the time, we probably even say it ourselves. All the speaker is trying to convey is that they're going to give their utmost effort, whether its for our football team, finishing that project at work, or earning the right to be first big-haired, multi-tattooed, corseted skank to go down on a former 80's rock star (this week...).

But let's face it, if you're already giving 100 percent, you're giving your all. You're giving everything your body and mind have to offer, so where is this "extra" 10 percent coming from?
It's not like you can steal it from your neighbor... "Oh, Sally is pretty lazy today, she won't notice if I borrow 10 percent from her, so I can really excel!"

Anyway, I know there's hundreds of examples of where people don't really say what they mean, and say something far stupider, so perhaps I'll try to make this a running commentary when they occur to me. I have a feeling ROL2 will provide me with a bit more fodder in the coming weeks... and no, I'm not embarrassed that I watched it, I swear... I mean really, I'm fine with it...

4 Comments:

Blogger Fried Hair Girl said...

Im not gonna lie. i LOVE that show. Its sick i know. But you wanna know what expression BUGS THE HELL OUT OF ME ... when Bret says "A-WhatsA-Goin-On"

UGH I just got shivers again. i hate that. i dont know why he has to say it like that. and i dont know why it bothers me so much. maybe its the fact that he does his eyeliner better than me. i dont know.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same pet peeve! This bugs me more than the constant misuse of the word "literally". Unless you're paying back a loan, you cannot give 110%, or more than you give. You can only give 100%.

My poor girlfriend has to hear this rant every time someone says that.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely despise the overuse of the phrase "Turn me on". People use it for everything. "That coat turns me on". "The sushi turned me on". WTF. Does the coat really sexually arrouse you? Get a better vocab.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between the a-whatsa-goin-on or the aaaayyyyyyyyy oooooohhhhhhh! I'm not sure which creeps me out more!

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home